|Vegan Old Fashioned Yeast Raised Donuts||
Recipe Type: Dessert
A test run of the new recipe page!
- 1/2 stick margarine
- 2/3 cup hot soy milk
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2 packets active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 cups sifted flour (approximately)
- 6 teaspoons enrg egg replacer w/ 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- canola oil for frying
- powdered sugar or frosting for topping
- Melt margarine in the hot soymilk and cool to lukewarm.
- Place water in a warm large mixing bowl, sprinkle in yeast, stir until dissolved; add soymilk mixture and sugar.
- Beat in 2 1/2 cups flour in until smooth; mix in egg replacer, salt, and spices.
- Mix in remaining flour, adding a little extra, if needed.
- Knead lightly 1 minute, shape into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down, roll 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut with a floured cutter of some sort and place 1 1/2-inches apart on un-greased baking sheet.
- Reroll and cut scraps.
- Cover with cloth and let double in size
- Meanwhile, begin heating oil in something like a cast iron skillet or a deep fat fryer.
- When doughnuts have risen and oil has reached 375 degrees F carefully add the donuts giving them plenty of room.
- Fry about 2 minutes until golden brown all over, using tongs to turn.
- Drain on paper towels.
- dip into a bowel of powder sugar and little water, or frosting, or whatever your favorite topping is.
Comments (0) Original post date: Tuesday, June 7th, 2011